Eye Circles with iron deficiency
Of course, everyone has dark circles from time to time. Sometimes you haven't had enough sleep, sometimes the stress of everyday life is just too much or you've had a series of wild party nights. There can be dark circles under the eyes quickly become a short-term cosmetic problem.
But anyone who suffers permanently and walks around every day with dark shadows under their eyes should urgently have their iron supply checked by a doctor's blood test. Iron deficiency is one of the most common causes of permanent problems with dark circles under the eyes. And it should be remedied as soon as possible if you care about your general health. We explain here what else causes iron deficiency.
Why iron deficiency causes dark circles
But what does iron deficiency have to do with dark circles under the eyes anyway? Iron is a significant component of the red blood pigment haemoglobin. It transports oxygen through the blood. Severe iron deficiency leads to an undersupply of oxygen to the blood, which not only causes chronic fatigue, tiredness, lack of concentration and moodiness, but also unsightly shadows under the eyes that make you look tired and not exactly healthy. The reason is that the lack of oxygen makes the blood darker, which means that the blood vessels shine through the thin skin under the eyes. Incidentally, a deficiency of the trace element zinc can also lead to dark circles under the eyes.
What you should know about iron
But iron deficiency not only causes unsightly dark circles under the eyes. It also brings with it some other symptoms: it makes you feel constantly listless and causes problems falling asleep despite the constant tiredness. And a lack of sleep makes for unsightly dark circles under the eyes. By the way, iron deficiency can also be the reason why you don't lose weight despite exercise and diets, because in this state of deficiency the metabolism stores everything it needs to survive - including unwelcome fat. Incidentally, women are particularly often affected by iron deficiency. We explain here why sufficient iron is so important for your body:
- Iron makes you beautiful: Signs of iron deficiency are, apart from the well-known dark circles under the eyes, brittle nails, dull hair and sometimes even hair loss. Furthermore, the corners of your mouth are cracked, your skin is dry and you look unhealthily pale. An iron deficiency is therefore not good for your beauty and should be remedied as soon as possible for the sake of your health and beauty.
- Iron pushes the mood: But it also has a great influence on your mental state. Because constant fatigue and listlessness with an iron deficiency often lead to depressive moods and general unhappiness. So before you doubt yourself and maybe even take anti-depressants, check what the iron content in your blood has to say. Because if you have enough iron in your blood, you are immediately more balanced and happier!
- Iron increases the libido: One study found that iron deficiency even leads to listlessness in bed. By the way: Women with heavy menstrual bleeding are particularly often affected by a deficiency, because once a month they lose a lot of blood and thus also iron, which cannot be reabsorbed so quickly. If you have enough iron in your body, you automatically feel more like having sex!
- Iron makes you powerful: If an iron deficiency is left untreated for too long, it can lead to anaemia in the long run. If the production of red blood pigment is limited, this also leads to too few red blood cells being present. The body then immediately switches to economy mode and just about takes care of the vital processes. Performance in other activities, such as sports, is considerably reduced.
How to recognise iron deficiency
But how do you even know that you might be suffering from iron deficiency? Ask yourself these questions! If you answer "yes" to more than three of them, you should see a doctor and have a blood test to be on the safe side.
- Are your nails brittle or long grooved?
- Do you suffer from hair loss?
- Do you have torn corners of your mouth?
- Do you find it difficult to concentrate?
- Do you often feel exhausted and listless?
- Do you feel the need to move your legs in the evening or at night because they feel strangely heavy?
- Don't you feel like having sex lately?
- Do you feel that nothing is happening in your training?
- Do you often experience shortness of breath or palpitations during physical activity?
Which foods contain a lot of iron?
To prevent iron deficiency, you should make sure you eat well so that your store is always nicely full. The following foods contain a lot of the important trace element:
- Pumpkin seeds
- Wholemeal bread
- Steak and red meat
- Black pudding
Bad news for vegans: In principle, our body can absorb iron better from animal products. Once an iron deficiency is present, it takes several weeks or even months until the values are back in the green zone, even with a high iron intake.
Capsule or infusion against iron deficiency?
In the case of a mild to moderate deficiency, it is recommended to take capsules in addition to a balanced diet. However, it is important to use high-quality products that release the iron in the intestine. It would be totally useless in the stomach. So it's better not to skimp here and go for more expensive products. Caution: There could still be unpleasant side effects such as nausea, diarrhoea or constipation! The absorption of iron through capsules can also be inhibited by certain foods such as dairy products or black tea. These should therefore be avoided while taking the capsules. Professional tip: Vitamin C, on the other hand, increases absorption! If you have a severe iron deficiency, you should go straight to the doctor for infusions. They work quickly and efficiently because the iron is absorbed directly into the blood without being lost. This is not dangerous in itself, but in very rare cases it can lead to allergic reactions. It is best to consult your doctor about this.
Lavule offers quick help for dark circles!
If you are currently suffering from acute problems with dark circles under your eyes, we recommend you treat them with our highly effective Lavule dark circles cream. It can help you get rid of the dark shadows under your eyes as quickly as possible. The product is specially formulated to quickly and effectively manage dark circles and fine lines around the eyes. Lavule contains lots of hyaluron, valuable herbal extracts, vitamins and minerals. Thanks to this highly effective combination of active ingredients, an instant Botox effect sets in within 24 hours of the first application.
In 7 days, your dark circles are already a thing of the past because puffiness is effectively reduced. Lavule also prevents the appearance of new wrinkles around the eyes. To achieve the optimal effect against dark circles, we recommend applying Lavule to the eye area twice a day, in the morning and in the evening, and gently massaging it in with your fingertips.
Is fluid deficiency, along with iron deficiency, also a trigger for dark circles under the eyes?
Absolutely! That's why, in addition to a balanced diet, you should make sure to drink three litres of water a day.
Besides iron deficiency, can dark circles also indicate serious diseases?
Unfortunately, yes. Sometimes, for example, liver disease is the cause. Problems with the thyroid gland, gall bladder or kidneys can also cause dark circles under the eyes. If in doubt, talk to your family doctor.
Are there also home remedies for dark circles?
We recommend our highly effective Lavule dark circles cream in the fight against dark circles. But sometimes just cold water can be a quick remedy: Dip make-up remover pads in ice-cold water and then place them on your eyes. The cooling effect will reduce the swelling around the eyes.